Re: Brainstorming: Best of all Worlds

On Mar 22, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer wrote:

> Yes. I wasn't suggesting WHATWG was vs. XHTML 2 or XForms. I was
> suggesting that the technologies were designed in absence of a
> liaison and consistency check between W3C technologies. Currently
> XHTML2 and HTML5 are drifting apart, for example. I think this is a
> problem, and I think its a reasonable thing to ask, do we want
> this? Can't we make them grow together at some point? This is more
> than just incorporating some suitable aspects where possible, its
> more of a goal, or vision, and something that I think is the right
> thing to ask at brainstorming time of a new WG.

HTML5 has, among other things, the following goals:

1) Compatibility with existing practice on the web.
2) Addition of new features to support the needs of web applications,
as well as web documents, and things that blur the boundary.

I don't think XHTML2 shares either of these goals, and historically
XForms has notshared . Given these fundamental differences of vision,
I'm not sure how a vague goal to "grow together" is helpful.

It's much easier to consider individual technical ideas on their
merit than the evaluate broad general principles like this. If your
goal is to encourage the adoption of ideas from XForms in HTML, or to
promote specific ideas from XHTML2, then let's discuss those ideas
individually on their merits.

Regards,
Maciej