Re: HTML parsing, <script>, and document.write() test/issue details?

Dan Connolly wrote:
> I'd like to know more about the details. I'd particularly appreciate
> it if somebody would put together a few test cases that show
> how parsing rules are integrated with <script> and document.write().

The spec has a diagram that illustrates how document.write() is
integrated with the parsing by injecting markup back into the input
stream [1].

This test case illustrates how document.write() can change the parsing:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>document.write()</title>
   <script>
     document.write("<\/div>");
   </script>

When script is enabled, the p is a sibling of the div and the </div> at
the end will generate a parsing error.  When script is disabled, the p
is a child of the div and there is no parsing error.

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#overview

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/