From: www-forms-request@w3.org on behalf of Dave Raggett
Sent: Mon 12/03/2007 5:34 PM
To: public-html@w3.org; www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Preparing to launch the Forms Task Force ...

With Dan Connolly's approval, I am preparing a web page for the HTML
Forms Task Force that was called for in the charters for the HTML
and Forms working groups. To make it easier for people to
contribute, we would like to provide a wiki. In the short term it
would be easiest for the W3C Systems Team to support the MoinMoin
wiki, but Dan and I have our eyes on the Semantic MediaWiki as a
better long term solution, along with its improved support for
machine processing of Wiki materials.

As a starting point, the Task Force would be expected to collect use
cases and assumptions, followed by work on the basic design choices
that flow from them. Whilst it might seem easier to start from a
detailed proposal and to discuss tweaks to that, we are more likely
to end up with a concensus across the wide variety of experience and
opinions in the two working groups if we start by building a shared
vocabulary and a common grounding in the use cases and assumptions.

I should have a rough web page in place by the end of this week.
Please let us know what you think about the potential for using a
wiki for collecting information and writing specifications in an
open forum. What tools should we be looking at?

p.s. the requirements of the W3C Patent Policy may limit write
access to working group members, at least for some parts of the wiki
involving technical contributions. I will try and get some clearer
guidance as to what this involves. Working Group membership is
essentially open to anyone able to comply with the Patent Policy,
see http://www.w3.org/html/wg/ for more details.