Re: Whoah There, Turbo

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, David Hyatt wrote:

> My interpretation of what constitutes a browser vendor is based off the
> Success Criteria section of the charter:
>
> "The HTML Working Group's work will be considered a success if there are
> two independent complete and interoperable implementations of its
> deliverable that are widely used (more than 10% of the Web browser
> market each according to at least two widely recognized metric reporting
> organizations)."

As others have noted, the W3C team silently made this criteria qualitative
instead of quantitative at the last minute. Why the team made this
decision is not public, but it seems fishy to me. How could we consider
this work a success if less than 10% of the market uses it? The reason the
W3C joined the HTML5 effort was specifically because the previous efforts
-- namely XHTML -- had failed to gain traction. Why wouldn't we want a
measurable goal?

Oh well.