Leigh Klotz, Xerox (chair, minutes)
Nick van den Bleeken, Inventive Designers
Philip Fennell, MarkLogic
Uli Lissé, DreamLabs [joined late]
Erik Bruchez, Orbeon [joined late]

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2011Oct/0013.html

* transform()

Alain Couthures: I don't know what to do about dependencies. For example, could a repeat be applied to the result of a transformation. Also, submission and transformation. I saw a tweet about it from betterForm: "as a special submissionhandler returning the transform results with replace="instance"
Alain Couthures: http://betterform.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/aeronautical-information-services-ais-and-xforms/
Nick van: This is about subforms or transformations?
Alain Couthures: Both.
Leigh Klotz: So they're using a transform for default values.
Alain Couthures: Yes, we talked about that some time ago.
Leigh Klotz: They don't say if it's an action or a function.
Alain Couthures: The tweet says "as special submissionhandler returning the transform results with replace="instance""
Leigh Klotz: I guess they do that to avoid the delete and insert you would have with an action.
Alain Couthures: I'm not doing the same thing for the same problem.

* eval()

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2011Oct/0008.html http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Eval_function

John Boyer: I was looking at some uses of eval() in XPath 1.0, as an extension function. I'm looking at iterating over nodes effectively and generically separating the algorithm from the details. Sorting is a decent chopping block on which to try out features. Right now we have a wiki page on eval() which suggests that the first parameter is an XPath expression to be evaluated. The note says that Saxon has a similar "evaluate" function and perhaps we should use that. The Saxon evaluate function has more parameters, and those parameters are used to feed XPath variables to the evaluation of the first parameter expression. The Saxon evaluate says it will receive variables from the context of the eval function, so it starts with zero variables. If you provide parameters, those show up as parameters. It was slightly weird that p1 is the second parameter and p2 is the third, but it works. I couldn't figure out if there is some compelling reason why the context variables are not available. I wonder what the reason would be for the variable not being passed in?
Leigh Klotz: It could be for sanitized access.
Nick van: Or for using it in different places; in XSLT you can't change variables, so you can't use evaluate if the variable is already used.
John Boyer: Right. I thought perhaps one reason was that you might already have a $p1. On the other hand, if you're getting variables from the surrounding context, why would you need those parameters?
Nick van: If you're re-using the expression, because it's stored in your data.
John Boyer: I see. My use cases are for an algorithm invoked by dispatch and dynamically construct an XPath expression for the eval(). Your alternative use case is dynamically-constructed XPath from instance data, with three different occurrences of eval() that all consume that expression.
Nick van: Yes.
John Boyer: It might be preferable to express it one time.
Nick van: You can't re-define the variables though.
John Boyer: Yes, creating one action used from three locations might be preferable.
Nick van: Then your evaluation context is there.
John Boyer: That's a segue into the other aspect of this.
John Boyer: I have started to hit cases with an alternative meaning of the second parameter: the second optional would be an XPath expression that would identify a context. In sort, when I want to compare two person records they might have a first and last name as separate elements. I'd like to have the key value for a person be concat(last, first). I'd like to call that expression in the context of two different elements.
Leigh Klotz: It sounds like it could be a function called evaluate-in-context.
John Boyer: It could. Then we could still preserve the idea...or our eval function isn't saxon:evaluate or evaluate.
Leigh Klotz: Don't they have it in XPath 3? They have serialize.
Nick van: I think they have only parse and serialize.
John Boyer: It could be a separate function.
Nick van: A variable and a context attribute would also work.
John Boyer: In XPath 2 you can call a function in a location step and return a context, so it's an XPath 1 limitation. In XPath 1 the first location is the only place you can do the location step; after that first slash has to have a location-path. On the othe hand if I want a form that will survive XPath 1.0 - vs 2.0 then I am back to writing it in a way that works in both. But it is an XPath 1.0 limitation.
Nick van: Leigh's solution is nice; if it's a function, it can go in the bucket of functions that are handy in XPath 1.0.
John Boyer: Would it be available only in XPath 1.0?
Nick van: Probably we could make it in 2.0 but it's in the not-so-useful functions for XPath 2.0, because there you can use the location-path followed by the function.
John Boyer: So far we had a dividing line with XPath 2.0 function equivalents being added. In this case, to do it in XForms with 1.0 or 2.0, you'd need that function in both.
John Boyer: As a separate function it would be useful. eval-in-context could take additional parameters for variables.
Erik Bruchez: [joins]
Nick van: Could you recap for Erik?
John Boyer: I've been working on algorithms like sort as a benchmark for iteration and eval. eval seemeed function for separating the algorithm from the data. To compare two person records, I want the caller to to provide the comparison, as is typical. If a person record has a first and last name, the comparison operation would be concat(last,first) for the key. So what I wanted was an eval function would work in different contexts, for the two sort elements: eval(key, element1), eval(key, element2). saxon:evaluate has a first parameter of an expression, but the rest are variables named $p1, $p2, etc. I was suggesting a context expression (perhaps not just a node). Leigh suggested calling that a different function, eval and eval-in-context.
Leigh Klotz: Did you mean a string? for context.
Nick van: John wants to write context-expr/eval($expr) but this isn't supported in XPath 1.0
John Boyer: I have to evaluate it once again as it's passed by a string. It's early stage but I think it's a context expression.
Nick van: you can't put a function in the middle of a location path when using xpath 1.0 this feature is added in XPath 2.0
Nick van: So John wants eval-in-context($expr, context-expr)
Leigh Klotz: Must it be a string or would calling eval a second time work? Or does it have "turtles all the way down" again?
Erik Bruchez: In XPath 3 you could pass a function to the sort function. Since we don't have XPath 3, it's not going to look very pretty. Why does the eval function need a context other than the caller?
John Boyer: The sort action sequence would call eval.
Erik Bruchez: So you would provide an expression that points to the person elements, and the key expression. The sort function or action, would it take the current element as the context?
John Boyer: A sort action needs to call something like compare(eval(keyExpr, firstElem), eval(keyExpr, secondElem))
John Boyer: The caller of the sort provides keyExpr = concat(last, first). This keyExpr needs to be evaluated in two different contexts. In XPath 2 you can write firstelem/eval(keyExpr) but that doesn't work in XPath 1. So we need an algorithm expression that would work in both. Also, this lets you get around the function call except in the first step.
Leigh Klotz: Except in predicates.
John Boyer: That's a location-step as well. It only filters on matches of node-test or name-test or similar.
John Boyer: In XPath 2.0 firstelem/eval(keyExpr) produces a String. In XPath 1.0 you can't get anything but a nodeset.
John Boyer: That's the sales pitch for a context parameter.
Erik Bruchez: Could we approximate functions somehow to prepare the way for XPath 3?
Leigh Klotz: eval is already present as an extension in Xpath 1 in Saxon and shouldn't be too hard to write. It's not until XPath 3 that we get first-class functions, which indicates that it may require some thought.
Erik Bruchez: I wonder if we can find some way around those lines. Eval might not be needed at all. It's not entirely clear how we could.
Leigh Klotz: I think an eval(expression, context, param1, param2) may be sufficient to write the Y combinator, meaning we do have recursive functions.
Erik Bruchez: sort(expression, comparator-function-name, etc.) Name instead of expression.
Nick van: I know how it's supposed to work in functional languges but how would you do that in XPath 1?
Erik Bruchez: Function name string. It's not exposed to the caller. Here: 'sort(instance()/person, "my-comparator") and <xforms:function name="my-comparator">...
John Boyer: All they have inside the function is XPath. So how do you invoke a function?
Erik Bruchez: The user of the sort function doesn't have to do that. There's the key function and the compare function.
Nick van: That solves the function for the sort, but sort was just an example of eval using standard XForms actions.
John Boyer: sort is a representative of this kind of processing.
Leigh Klotz: The question is not how to call a built-in sort function, but how can you write a sort function as an action.
Erik Bruchez: So you want a different eval function that takes the context as a parameter?
John Boyer: Yes, I think that would solve it.
Erik Bruchez: I'm not convinced saxon:eval can't be improved on. It works in XPath 2. I remember a couple of year ago when we talked about the function element, Mike Kay said that XPath 3 they had considered a few options about scope and the three possibilities were pass context (essentually this), lexical (where the function is defined), and no context. They chose no context, I believe. In anonymous functions, there is no initial context item, but the main point is that you can pass the context to the function.
Nick van: I think a different name is a better option.
Leigh Klotz: Does XPath 3 have the context() function? If so you could pass context() to the function and use it anywhere, because it doesn't have the location-step restriction.
Erik Bruchez: No, it doesn't have context().
Leigh Klotz: Scheme eval() takes the expression, env.
John Boyer: Could we accept this proposal to add eval-in-context to our eval proposal, but the second parameter is the context.
Leigh Klotz: The actual context node, not a string.
John Boyer: Let me think about that.
Erik Bruchez: For Saxon, the variables are kind of funny. It's the dynamic context. There's more than just the context item. There's also context-item, context-position, and scope variables. This function would handle only context-item.
John Boyer: My initial reaction was a string to get a context, nodeset, size. I don't have any direct applications for the size component of a nodeset if a nodeset were provided. That might be a problem for XPath 1 because you have provide a particular context node anyway, so maybe the second parameter being the actual node only is the best approach. If you really need a string, you can focus.
Leigh Klotz: Erik, can you live with it?
Erik Bruchez: Yes, I can.

Resolution 2011-10-12.1: We add eval-in-context to our eval proposal, but the second parameter is the context node.

ACTION-1836 John Boyer to add eval-in-context to our eval proposal, but the second parameter is the context node.

* IRC Minutes

http://www.w3.org/2011/10/12-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends