Hi Drummond

your characterisation is interesting but is not either a full or correct picture.

Firstly centralised could give a false impression of a single system, whereas all your centralised systems are distributed systems

Secondly Federated systems build on the former and cannot work without them.

Thirdly Verifiable Credentials are not inherently decentralised. They are no more decentralised than X.509 Attribute Certificates. Remember that VC IDs are defined as URIs in the standard, not DIDs. And X.509 ACs can bind attributes to keys in the same way as VCs do.

Fourthly, I have heard several academics describe blockchains as centralised systems, surprising as you may find this.

Fifth, self signed X.509 PKCs are just as decentralised as DIDs.

Kind regards

David

On 23/03/2021 16:57, Drummond Reed wrote:
Michael, the definition is in the first sentence of Chapter 1:

Self-sovereign identity—commonly abbreviated SSI—is a new model for digital identity on the internet: i.e., how we prove who we are to the websites, services, and apps with which we need to establish trusted relationships to access or protect pri- vate information.

That broad definition was a deliberate choice on behalf of Alex Preukschat and I as co-authors of the book. SSI is a digital identity model (not just an architectural model, but also a governance model) that is significantly different than in the digital identity models of the previous two eras of Internet trust infrastructure, per this diagram that I now show at the start of all my talks on SSI and ToIP to establish the overall context.

image.png

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 9:27 AM Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net> wrote:

Hi Drummond, I’ve read through Chapter 1 of the Manning book just now (https://livebook.manning.com/book/self-sovereign-identity/chapter-1/v-11/88) and couldn’t a succinct nor operational definition for the term/concept of Self-Sovereign Identity.

The chapter talks “all around” the topic of Self-Sovereign Identity but didn’t seem to conclude with an actual definition.  Did I miss it?

Michael Herman

Far Left Self-Sovereignist