On 20/07/2021 13:10, Adam Sobieski wrote:

David,

Scott,

It sounds like W3C VC’s can equip organizations (e.g., https://www.google.com/search?q=journalism+organizations) with the capability to issue and revoke “digital press passes” per their own policies, codes of ethics, and procedures.

As for the W3C VC models not being limited to the journalism domain, these same technologies could equip ACM, IEEE, and AAAI with the means of issuing, beyond membership-related credentials, credentials which represent compliance with their ethical codes.

Broadly, then, under discussion are the matters of equipping professional organizations with the means of issuing and revoking membership-related credentials and credentials which indicate compliance with the organizations’ policies and/or codes of ethics.

yes, correct

Brainstorming and exploring the topic, we might also envision decentralized systems

it depends what your definition of decentralised is, as it can encompass several different functionalities. If you mean that issuers need DIDs, then no, they can have standard X.509 signing certificates. If you mean that blockchains are needed, again no, they are not essential. The only decentralised feature I have found to be essential is that users can create their own asymmetric key pairs (as many as they need).

What is clear (and all the decentralised people agree with this), is that every SSI system today needs centralised systems in order to function at all on the Internet.

Kind regards

David

which allow, beyond issuing and revoking credentials, the capability to warn organizations and individuals. That is, we might consider that a “digital press pass” could be in states including: valid, warned, and revoked. If it is possible to add warnings to VC systems, we could envision the UX in Web browsers with a green news symbol for valid, a yellow news symbol for warned, and a red error news symbol for revoked. These graphical symbols could be placed next to the lock symbol in the left of the URL address bar, before the URL text.

Best regards,

Adam