RE: Headers

Did you read RFC2616 (HTTP/1.1 specification). This document included all
the information needed to create a HTTP/1.1 implementation. It's recommended
for new implementations to support HTTP/1.1.
HTTP/1.1 is backwards compatible with HTTP/1.0. Please see RFC2616 for more
information.

You can get RFC2616 from http://www.ietf.org/.

Some information about the HTTP/1.1 caching mechanism:

Client request page.
Server send page and may send information like:
modified date (not relevant for cache),
pragma: no-cache (HTTP/1.0 do not cache document)
cache-control header (HTTP/1.1 caching mechanism)
expires header (HTTP/1.1 document expiration info)
Vary header (HTTP/1.1 dynamic content information)

Note that a client can make a request with:
 * if-modified header
 * ETag (???) header
These are added by the client to check for the latest available document
version. If the client has indeed the latest version, the server should
respond with: 304 Not Modified. Otherwise the server should return the
document (200 OK response).

You should definitly read RFC2616 for information about this.
I can't explain it in a short mail and I won't write a long one, since you
can find everything you could possibly need quite clear in the RFC.

Please take care you be compatible with the HTTP/1.0 caching mechanism. Also
ensure you support filtering the CRLF before the startline. This ensures

- Joris

[SNIP]