Re: http acceleration and Date headers

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> I have been doing a survey of clock accuracy
> (http://vancouver-webpages.com/time/) and have found that, while the
> majority of Web server clocks (as derived from the http Date header)
> are very accurate, a few are way off.

I've seen this issue arise in a different aspect of Squid.  Perhaps it
should be part of the Apache documentation to instruct that the Webmaster
install a Network Time Protocol client before ore installing pages on the
web server.

My problem was that the remote server was about five to ten minutes off,
hence the modification date of a file was off.  So, when an
if-modified-since request was sent from my Squid server, whose clock is
synchronized with the world time standard, the file would show up as not
modified until enough minutes had passed to make up for the clock error.

	-Mike Pelletier.