Re: Minutes of 1/21 editorial teleconference...

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Jim Gettys wrote:

> #AUTH-INFO-SYNTAX has been quiet on the mailing list, and we didn't
> get to discussing it at today's meeting.  Please look at it and comment.

I believe we reached consensus to eliminate the Authentication-info
header from the authentication specification.  If this is done its
syntax should be moot.

> #DIGEST-MESS is still a mess, though some light is visible; there is
> consensus that we must get it implemented and get passwords in
> the clear off the net. Larry Masinter and Paul Leach are putting
> together another draft to get out soon (hopefully next week), reflecting
> all the mailing list action.

I believe we reached consensus to eliminate the entity digest and all
its associated paraphenalia.  After that consensus I volunteered to
try to cut down the previous version.  The results of that effort
(with a few changes since I sent it to Jim) are available at

     http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/digest.revised

> #DIGEST-SCALING has been subsumed by Digest mess, and whether the change
> required to be able to scale up will happen may hinge on whether incompatible
> changes have to happen in Digest, which might force digest to recycle at
> proposed.  (This is not the end of the world, however, if it had to, in
> my humble opinion; what is important is to get something implemented and
> out there sooner rather than later; don't get hung up worrying about
> process stuff; Larry and I will handle the details...).

I hope we will not forget the consensus and start the debate all over
again.

John Franks
john@math.nwu.edu