RE: Some comments on Digest Auth

> ----------

And the third and subsequent, with credentials, through a URL-dependent
proxy, will also break.

> > > One thing that I would like to do, but which would conflict with a
> > > pre-delivered list of nonces, is to embed the (strong) ETag of a
> > > document in the nonce.  This is simpler than timestamping and
> > > guarantees that a replay can only retrieve exactly the same document
> > > (which a MITM has presumably already seen when he captured the nonce.)
> > >
> > Both would be good -- otherwise you can retreive the same document
> > indefinitely into the future.
> >

> You could only receive *exactly* the same document indefinitely into
> the future as any update of the document changes the ETag.  I don't
> see repeatedly obtaining exactly the same document as a problem with
> idempotent methods like GET.  Of course, PUT and POST are a different
> matter, but I don't think they have ETags.

Actually, my comment (that both Etag and timestamp are good) was wrong. You
can't use an Etag in the nonce, because nonces aren't per-resource. I do a
GET on http://www.foo.com/bar.html, and get a nonce. I use the same nonce
when I do a GET on http://www.foo.com/waz.html.

Paul