RE: Some comments on Digest Auth

> ----------

OK, it is, but not a practical one. It would require that every initial
request for a URL return 401. That will essentially double the number of
round trips.

> Some existing implementations work this way.  Nothing in the spec
> prohibits this and I doubt if that will change.
>
> Incidentally, whether an implementation is stateful (e.g. remembers all
> nonces used) or stateless is also an implementation decision.  I very
> much doubt that any consensus could be reached on a specification change
> which either requires the server to be stateful or prohibits it from
> being so.

As long as the stateless one can actually be made more than trivially more
secure than Basic. I think we might be well on the way, but let's not forget
the priorities.

Paul