RE: Digest mess

I agree.
(feel free to correct me if Im wrong..)
There seems to be a lot of other protocols
or efforts which depend on HTTP um, security.
By having digest, they meet the IETF security
requirements, and may proceed.
If digest fails or comes out of the spec, this
will derail other efforts as well.
I know that we're supposed to avoid favoring
"process" over technical soundness, but in this
case, I dont think that applies.
We're not degrading the technical soundless of
digest if we do as Dave says, we're just reducing
the scope of digest to a more manageable task.
The task that Digest was originally intended for.

If the other functionality is deemed desireable,
it should proceed on its own.. These says
we seem to like saying "undock" alot..

Finally, its too late in the game to add such new
functionality.  If you balk at that and say
"existing functionality that we need to fix",
well, by the discussion so far it seems that
the work required is far beyond a simple fix.

My personal vote is to do as dave says, if thats
possible.

--
Josh Cohen <joshco@microsoft.com>
Program Manager - Internet Technologies