RE: REAUTHENTICATION REQUIRED

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Paul Leach wrote:

> How about cookies? I've heard they are useful for tracking state... :-)
>
> As I understand it:  cookie has a magic number in it. Magic number is index
> into a table at the server. Table has timeout information.

Cookies are one way to maintain state, munged URLs are another. Both
are more complex than needed if the client is simply given a timeout.

Servers which want more precision or actually require a stateful
interaction will of course maintain their own timeouts. But for basic
access to a secured set of WEB resources, having the client provide
the timing keeps everything simpler.