Re: indefinite server-push (was 'Last-Modified in chunked footer')

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> >On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> >> A proxy which attempts to buffer complete responses is broken, so it may
> >> as well be non-compliant.
>
> >Not if the proxy is required to respond to an HTTP/1.0 client with
> >chunked encoding converted to content-length.
>
> >Dave Morris
>
> In that case the proxy should buffer content as long as it can then
> send an HTTP/1.0 repsonse with no content length and slam the
> connection shut to denote end of transmission.

It seems to me that the proxy must only buffer as much as
the chunk is big.  If the chunk were extremely huge, then
this might be a problem, but chunks should be small enough
to be resonably buffered, I would think.

Of course, the chunk size doesnt give the robot any clue
how far along in the total content-length it is,
the total length is still unknown. My guess is that
the robot needs to make its own decisions about
how many bytes it will forward, or for how many
seconds it will continue the transaction..

Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>		      Netscape Communications Corp.
http://people.netscape.com/josh/
                                "You can land on the sun, but only at night"