Re: DATE-IF-MODIFIED

jg@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:

>"Note: An HTTP client should expect that If-Modified-Since headers sent
>for cache validation will be interpreted

"... by the origin server and all intervening proxy servers ..." or words
to that effect

>                                         as
>'If-Modification-date-does-not-match-exactly'.

Let's not introduce the expectation of an "If-Modification-date-..."
header-field and associated semantics.  Rephrasing that to read "... as
requesting an exact match between the supplied HTTP-date and the last
modification date and time of the resource ..." or something like it
would do the job.

>                                               In other words, an HTTP client
>should preserve all of the accuracy in the Last-Modified date,

It's not just a date, so how about "HTTP-date" instead.

>                                                               rather than
>(perhaps) playing games based on the official semantics of If-Modified-Since."

Let's stop after "... in the Last-Modified date" and delete the remainder
of the sentence.  That way we wind up with a normative statement, rather
than one that calls into question the motivation of the change or limits
the interpretation of its scope.

To summarize the above, here's my suggested replacement:

   "Note: An HTTP client should expect that If-Modified-Since headers
   sent for cache validation will be interpreted by the origin server
   and all intervening proxy servers as requesting an exact match
   between the supplied HTTP-date and the last modification date and
   time of the resource.  In other words, an HTTP client should preserve
   all of the accuracy in the Last-Modified HTTP-date."

Ross Patterson
Sterling Software, Inc.
VM Software Division