Re: NS, Verisign, Firefly proposal [was Re: Revised charter , milestones

At 3:28 PM -0700 5/28/97, David W. Morris wrote:
>Then perhaps you have more hard information on the proposal than I've
>seen. The MercNews article (datelined NewYork) was full of buzz words but
>nothing to connect them, which I could discern, into a protocol(s).

The full press release is at
<http://home.netscape.com/flash4/newsref/pr/newsrelease411.html>. I talked
with some of the folks at Netscape about this last week (they're using
IMC's vCard technology as the format), and they assured me that cookies are
*not* dead. This will clearly be a better alternative than cookies (if and
when it gets standardized by the W3C), but it will probably take more work
for a typical Webmaster to incorporate.

Also, given that Microsoft hasn't signed onto the effort yet, and might not
until it sees what comes out of the closed W3C WG process, it's not clear
when many sites will use the proposed technology.

IMHO, discussing technology for which there is no published specification,
much less technology that will not be formed in the IETF, is probably not a
good use of this mailing list. When the technology is released from the W3C
WG, this group can assess how it affects the HTTP protocol, but not until
then.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium