Re: mid-course errors

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Jeffrey Mogul wrote:

> But this is probably just "advice to client implementors", not
> something we need to put into the spec.  (And I've seldom seen
> any content-generator realize when it has generated bogus data,
> although I have certainly seen enough cases where the output was
> clearly broken.)

Probably because if the server/application cares enough to know the data
might be bogus, it has made provisions to purge the partial output and
start over. If you've been busy generating HTML and forwarding it to a
client and discover some kind of error condition, it is really tough in
the general case to generate additional HTML which one can be sure will
be seen by the user in a meaningful way. (For example, if one is in the
middle of generating a table but the error routine doesn't close the
table, the browser may not display the error message, etc.)

My latest project takes the effort to queue all output until the response
is complete. If an intermediate failure is detected. the queued output is
purged and an error response generated.

Dave Morris