Re: [touch@isi.edu: draft may be of interest]

> From ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu Thu Jun 13 13:42:48 1996
> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
> To: Jon Crowcroft <J.Crowcroft@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
> Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>,
>         http-wg <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, touch@ISI.EDU
> Subject: Re: [touch@isi.edu: draft may be of interest]
>
> On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> >
> >  >I've completed and submitted an internet draft on
> >  >TCP Control Block Interdependence, which has some
>
> IMHO TCP is going to become less important in terms of bytes carried as
> time goes on - media specific transport protocols are much better suited
> for things like images, video, and sounds; the HTTP-NG philosophy is that
> eventually TCP or it's replacement will basically just be used for text
> and for control messages.
>
> Simon

And by the same argument, it'd be easier to deploy
these new transport protocols in an application, rather
than waiting for them to appear in an OS.

P-HTTP is basically "IP over TCP" - given the necessary
chunking, muxing, etc. I don't know why that isn't as frightening
to anyone else...

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/