Re: http URL defn in HTTP/1.0

>From:  Dan Larner <larner@parc.xerox.com>
>
>[Section 3.2.2 of RFC1738 shows the use of ;type=<typecode>
>as intended for ftp URLs.  Section 3.3 of RFC1738 describing
>an http URL admits no 'params'.]

But RFC1738 (sorry I've got no reference, but my copy of the RFC
is in another country right now), does specify that the ';' is a
reserved characer in HTTP URLs, presumably to allow for future
extensions, like params.

>Should section 3.2.2 be modified to the following?
>
>http_URL = "http:" "//" host [":" port] ["/" [path] ["?" query]]

I hope not, because I'm about to propose a "version" parameter to
allow access to back revisions of a page stored in a version
control system like RCS or SCCS.

- David