Re: 505 HTTP Version Not Supported

At 01:42 PM 4/3/96 -0500, Bob Jernigan wrote:
>I.e., "if I don't need it, no-one does."

I don't think it's a matter of me shrugging off the little people.  We've
been moving a long time towards increased HTTP complexity.  We're now at the
point where to be compliant with the latest HTTP there are headers you are
*required* to send.  The issue of how  virtual servers are supposed to
handle 0.9 requests can be a sticky one (as long as 1.0 and 0.9 are around
will vendors continue to suck up multiple IP addresses for one machine?).

IMO, this pseudo-backward compatibilty can only remain feasible for so long.
I just think the world (wide web) would be a better place if no one made 0.9
requests anymore.  And I'll probably feel the same way about 1.0 requests
soon enough.

>But 0.9 is useful and will continue
>to be useful in certain circumstances.  About half my hits are 0.9 but
>they do return <1% of the data.  It all depends on what you think http
>is useful for.

-----
the Programmer formerly known as Dan
                                     http://www.spyglass.com/~ddubois/