Re: About that Host: header....

At 10:11 PM 3/19/96 -0500, John C Klensin wrote:
>requirement.  Even if we "require" that servers return an error message, it
>just pushes the problem a bit further out.  We will find, I'm afraid
>inevitably, that some idiot will decide to not bother sending "host" in the
>interest of a few extra cycles of efficiency and that other idiots will make
>the server error message a configurable option, also in the interest of
>efficiency.    Extrapolation from the history of the Internet predicts to a
>lot of such idiots.

Those same idiots would enable 200 OK responses to HTTP/1.1 requests that
don't have the full URL in the request line and use the 1.0 partial URL
style, or they'd make the error response a configurable option.  So it's a
moot point.

I think Host: will be just fine.

-----
the Programmer formerly known as Dan