Re: Proposal on removing Content Negotiation from http 1.1

Daniel DuBois wrote:

> (I don't know what Navigator does with/means by its
> 'document encodings', but certianly if Navigator doesn't do the auto-charset
> adjustment now, it will soon.  It's too trivial not to make that next step.)

Netscape Navigator does look for "charset", but if it's omitted, we
default to whatever the user has set in the "encoding" menu. We don't
like having to present these confusing choices to the user, but the
current Web infrastructure doesn't use "charset" at all (or very
little).

Erik