Re: Proposal on removing Content Negotiation from http 1.1

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Peter J Churchyard wrote:

> I would like to propose that content negotiation is removed from http 1.1
>
> Thus accept: headers are ignored. Greatly simplifies caching decisions since
> response == entity.
>
> I beleive that very little content negotiation takes place (even within
> this archive you see people explicitly refering different versions of
> papers..)

This is true today (maybe) - but not very likely to be true in just a few
weeks. The driving force will be (as usual) practical. Netscape 2.0 and
other new browsers now have the capability to read progressive jpegs.
Netscape, at least, makes explicit in its request this capability with a
'image/pjpeg' accepts header. I am right now beginning the conversion of
my two highest volume customer sites (~ 100-200 Khits per day total) to
take advantage of this - which should be done by the end of next week.

--
Benjamin Franz
"Who is *very* concerned about the effect of caching on content negotiation."