RE: elaboration on MIME and HTTP issue

Larry Masinter writes in <96Jan18.165034pst.2733@golden.parc.xerox.com>:
>I thought I would elaborate on the issues I raised.  Roy and I have a
>strong disagreement on what the 'consensus of the working group' might
>be on this issue. I would like, therefore, to ask you all to respond.
>
>Paul Hoffman has proposed some modified wording for the sections under
>contention. I thought they were fine, except that they didn't go far
>enough. Paul's proposed rewrite is marked with >, my comments are
>unmarked, and my proposed rewrites are marked with #.

I'm happy with your rewrites, esp. "uses" vs. "reuses".  "Reuses" implies to
me a cut&paste operation with no linkage back to MIME, where "uses" implies
that MIME exists independently of mail and HTTP, with parts used only by
HTTP, parts used only by mail, and parts common to both mail and HTTP.
 "Uses" corresponds better with *my* mental model of MIME :)...
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN