RE: Decision about Host?

Some info:

1. There is a way to get the domain search path info in Windows and Windows/NT
2. AFAIK, it's only used by the Microsoft TCP/IP stack *today* -- but
any PC stack could use it
3. In order to be the same for all stacks, it has to be agreed to by
the WinSockets WG (an open WG formed from most/all of the Windows
TCP/IP stack vendors)
4. They haven't seen that as a priority in the past
5. If we make it needed in order to support Host:, they will see the priority.

Details:

The domain search path it is stored in different registry locations on
nt and win95.

nt:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Search
List is a REG_SZ that contains a blank-delimited list of domain names.

win95:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSTCP\SearchList, also
a blank-delimited REG_SZ

Also: it is easy for there to be a portable way  for PCs -- put it in
the browsers config file, entered as a preference. This requires extra
work on the part of whoever sets up the browser. Or, we could collect
where the information is for any stack vendor who wants to volunteer
that info, and browsers should iteratively try each of those places.

Any and all cruft that mihgt be required in the short run to handle the
problem could be hidden behind an API something like:
	HttpGetDnsSearchList(char ** pszSearchList)
which can in turn be in a DLL that can easily be replaced to call the
Winsock routine when it gets standardized.

All the above leads me to say that we should take the high road --
require fqdn, because it won't be long or hard to have "the right
thing" happen.

Paul