Re: Question

Harrie Hazewinkel asked:
> I recently joined this mailing list, because I have to build an agent
> which manages a WWW-server. Therefore I have to write a WWW-MIB and
> a HTTP-MIB. I have a question about the difference between the URI
> and the URL.
Are you sure SNMP is the best way to manage HTTP servers, or you mean
MIB not as SNMP but more generally?

> Is there a difference between the URI and URL?
> If yes, what is that difference?
an URI may be
1. an URL (already defined in RFCs 1738 and 1808)
2. an URN (not yet defined, see work done in URI WG in
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uri-urn-madsen-critique-00.txt
and RFC1737)

Andrew (Endre Balint Nagy) <bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu>