Re: The IETF process

Roy Fielding states he can't put something in the HTTP protocol that
no on has implemented.

Shel Kaphan writes:

About problems with this scenario...

> So, there seems to be a bit of a catch-22 in the process you outlined.
> People won't generally try implementing protocol features unless they
> are already in the spec, or they have an inside track with the spec
> writers, and things won't go into the spec until someone implements
> them.  In short, this process could stand to be more demand-driven.
<snip>

> None of these comments should be construed to detract from the good
> work that the protocol designers or spec authors have done.
>
> Shel Kaphan

On behalf of the NCSA Server Development Team, I'd like to request that
people who want new features implemented but do not (or do) plan to
implement them themselves, to send us a description of their goals and
their implementation.  We routinely review requests and implement those
that seem useful, interesting, or widely requested.  We are more interested
in research than the marketplace and have less to lose if we invest a
lot of time in something that later gets drops in favor of something else.

--
		Elizabeth(Beth) Frank
		NCSA Server Development Team