Re: Improving If-Modified-Since

Lou Montulli <montulli@mozilla.com> wrote:
  > This isn't forcing the server to do anything.  Adding a size simply
  > helps the server to make the correct decision about sending a 304
  > or not.  Currently servers are making wrong decisions because it
  > cant tell if the file has changed becaused dates are not strong
  > enough by themselves to do an adequate job of versioning.

Pardon my density.  I've been following this discussion, but I've never
understood the argument about bad dates.  I would appreciate an
example.

I can imagine deliberately setting a specific file date, although I
don't understand the purpose.  Are there also systems where there's no
useful modification date, so a server cannot detect changes by checking
the file date?

Dave Kristol