Re: Expires, Last-Modified, Pragma: no-cache etc.

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995, Lou Montulli wrote:

> I recently changed netscape to interpret "Pragma: no-cache" and not
> cache the object.  This is slightly different than a "Expires" header
> because the object will not even be cached for history navigation.

I believe this is the wrong design.  The user *MUST* be able to always
flip the page backward and see the same material just viewed.  THis
is a critical user interface usability issue. Within the same session/
instance of UAgent execution. I believe it would be/is wrong to
silently refresh a document during history navigation when the history
cache has overflowed. I (and many users I know) expect the history
to be a record of what I've seen. I would have not objection to a
browser which checked currency and via a non-modal message advised that
the history copy wasn't current ("Current copy not current, RELOAD for
the latest copy" for example).

Dave Morris