Re: Draft Minutes of HTTP Working Group, 33rd IETF Meeting, Stockholm

Just FYI: Actually, DCE RPC has been in Windows NT since 3.1; and the
Win32 SDK included support for 16 bit Windows, and it is "in the box"
for Win95 --- all with threads support to effect non-blocking if you need it.

Also, you can more than halve the size of the spec you need to
implement by just doing the the UDP version -- which, given that one of
the problems with HTTP that everyone talks about is the overhead
incurred from opening TCP connections for one-off transactions, seems
like a good direction to go.  (If the normal interaction between client
and server is idempotent, it will only take one round trip...)

Lastly, if I were tasked with implementing datagram DCE RPC from the
spec, I'd start by looking at the 1990 Prentice Hall book "Network
Computing Architecture", by Zahn, et al, which uses a much clearer
specificaiton methodology (IMHO) to specify a previous, backwards
compatible, version of the DCE RPC protocol.

Paul