Re: Negotiation in draft 01

>They were not.  I very rarely design things on the mailing list, preferring
>instead to work with small groups on particular problems and then presenting
>the result in the form of a draft.  We spent a great deal of time trying
>to find the best way to cache responses given the possible presence of
>content variants.  Not all of the conclusions made it into the draft, but
>the parsing requirements did.

This attitude is offensive.  We are not the huddled tribes waiting for
stone tablets to come down from above.  The members of this mailing list
are those people who expect to be involved in the definition of the HTTP
protocol.  At least now I understand why a 500-line detailed commentary on
v10-spec that I sent to this list at the end of May got no reaction.

This is not the way the IETF works.  At the very least, an apology is
called for.  More likely, a major procedure reset probably needs to be done
by the Area Director (e.g., replace the current editor).
	/r$