Re: Browser Developers (A Plea From BrowserWatch)

M. Hedlund writes:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 1995 wmperry@spry.com wrote:
> >   Shouldn't the User-Agent field follow 'normal' specs for headers and do
> > something like:

> >             library=WWWLib/3.0.x ; other=Whatever
> >
> >   This would make it a little easier for people like Dave to parse the
> > string, without having to worry about order of the arguments, etc.  Plus
> > this would allow whitespace (but not ;) in the specifier.
>
> Yes, I like Bill's proposal and I've suggested platform in the user-agent
> field before.  This would, however, completely break current systems
> (which tend to look for the text before the first / as user-agent name,
> and can survive miscreant whitespace) that currently work with HTTP/1.0
> requests.  Can we defer this to 1.1?

  Perhaps we could combine the two?

            library=WWWLib/3.0.x ; other=Whatever

  This would still let old services that look for whatever is before the
first / to still get the same results.  And actually is more MIME-y than my
first one, since the platform=xxxx, can now be considered
parameters/extensions to the base 'NCSA Mosaic' value.

  -Bill P.