Re: DNS vs HOME PAGE[S]?

Stephen D. Williams wrote

> I've noticed this with a few sites, and it's on my list of things
> to investigate...   Is there a 'standard modified' version yet?
>
> I've also notice that telnet has built in handling of trying each
> A record returned: I wish cern_http lib would do that.

The Library of Common Code has for the last couple of releases had this
feature. However, it does more than that: it caches all DNS lookups and
when it finds a multihomed host, it times the connection, so that it on
the next request can select the fastest IP-address. If one IP-address
fails, the module tries the other ones until it finds one or all of
them fails. This was first written to optimize transatlantic multihomed
hosts of which info.cern.ch is one. I don't think that there are that
many hosts of this type around for the moment, but it works for
`normal' multihomed hosts as well.

I have written some information but can't say the URL right now as I am
having problems with AFS backup :-( That's why you might not be able to
access the www.w3.org server depending on what IP-address you get. The
general info page for the Library is

	http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Library/Status.html

We hope to get mailing lists back up in a couple of days. We are waiting
for some new machiens which will arrive next week.

-- cheers --

Henrik Frystyk