Re: Getting full URI to the server

According to Roy T. Fielding:

> > Why not pass the full URI in a header line?  No change to the request
> > line necessary, and essentially upwards compatible.  Perhaps:
> >
> >   Full-URI: http://foo.bar.org/index.html
>
> This, or some variation upon it, has been discussed several times
> on the mailing list.  The most common response is that it includes
> too much extra information which would better appear in the Request-URI.
> Rather than discussing that again, let's simplify it a bit:
>
>    Host: foo.bar.org
>

> The final question is: Does the additional functionality justify the cost
> and effort of including the Host header in the 1.1 standard, with the
> necessarily strong recommendation that it be included with all requests?
>
> In my opinion, the answer to this last question is NO.

I suspect that the ability to customize the default page based on
hostname part of the URL is the single most requested feature from
server maintainers.  I doubt that a week goes by without a thread on
this subject in c.i.w.providers.  The practice of using multiple IP
addresses on a single host for the sole purpose of working around this
deficiency in the protocol is becoming increasingly common.

Those who are critical of adding a new HTTP header just for "vanity
addresses" should keep in mind that the likely alternative is the
wasteful use of IP addresses just for vanity addresses.

John Franks