Re: Comments on the HTTP/1.0 draft.

From:	ALWS::HALLAM        7-DEC-1994 19:29:33.47
To:	DXMINT::"mvanheyn@cs.indiana.edu"
CC:	HALLAM
Subj:	Re: Comments on the HTTP/1.0 draft.

Marc,

>Call me a conservative in this area.  (Sorry if that's one of your dirty
>words, Phillip. :-)

I like it when you talkd dirty to me :-)

>I have no idea what poorly-designed FTP clients have to do with this issue.

The problem is that whatever we do there will be a lot of non canonicalising
servers arround so the clients have to cope anyway. So all the canonicalisation
requirement will mean is that documents will get incorrectly canonicalised
when they should not.

>HTTP supports different character sets? :-)

Yep, you can define the character set as part of the content type texp/plain;
charset=EBSIDIC or wotever.

It woiuld be easy enough to specify a MACversion of the ASCII charset.

	Phill