Re: SD3 - Data Types [fmt]

> From: Jean Paoli <jeanpa@microsoft.com>
> For many data processing applications, knowing the semantics of an
> element is not enough. Certain typical types of data, such as numbers
> and dates, form the basic measurements of whatever it is their
> elements represent. These types imply a typical sort order, an
> opportunity for efficient storage, and a grammar beyond XML.

I think it's long past time to add data typing to SGML.  I will be
adding some details to my proposal on this subject to deal with good
issues raised by Andrew Layman and Peter Murray-Rust.  Then there are
some plumbing/naming/detail issues we'll have to clean up.

I propose that we not try to put this into XML-lang, but rather issue
another (very small) spec, maybe Part 4, in the lang/link/display series.
Among other things, the typing machinery works just fine for full SGML
too. -T.