RE: SD3 - Data Types

Matthew Fuch's raises an important question: If there are data types,
are they part of the XML language definition or in a standard library?

What I had in mind with data types was that the XML language definition
would only go so far as to say: There is an attribute "xml-type". Its
value is the name of an element type. Its effect is to subclass the
contents of the element.

For example, if an element's contents are ANY or MIXED, an xml-type
attribute might identify it as actually being a date, in a standard
format such as ISO 8061. This separates the semantics (e.g. "Due Date")
from its representation ("ISO 8061 date").

I imagine that the language definition will not in fact define the
element types, but that these will be defined in some standard schema
that will be broadly shared.