Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

Eve L. Maler wrote:

> The ERB, in its meeting yesterday, discussed the issue of parameter
> entities in XML.  We are *strongly* leaning towards voting to remove
> parameter entities entirely *from V1.0* as long as GI name groups are
> reinstated in ELEMENT and ATTLIST declarations:
>
> <!ELEMENT (a|b|c) ...>
> <!ATTLIST (x|y|z) ...>

Yes.  Minimum pain, maximum gain.  It is the easiest
way to modularize.  It is how we built several DTDs and
they worked without pain.  They require one to accept
switching elements in some cases, but the price is
minimum particularly if brevity isn't a requirement.

Good.  I suspect parameter entities will be reintroduced
at a later date, but given the resistance to DTDs in WebLand,
let them discover why.

len bullard