Re: KISS (was: Parameter entity references in WF docs)

lee@sq.com wrote:

> Dan:
> > I think they should be modelled not as syntactic, token
> > pasting thingies, but as typed language elements.
>
> Len:
> > I agree.  That direction would give them a utility beyond
> > string substitutions.  This would be a worthy work item.
> >
> > Does everyone think it is needed for XML 1.0?
> No.  I'm concerned that
> (1) this is a fairly fundamental change to the SGML model of delimiter-based
>     textual mode-specific substitution;

Yes.  Without doubt.

> (2) such a fundamental change may have far-reaching consquences;

Yes. Most of them good, I think.  Most of them premature perhaps.

> (3) It's nearly July.

Yes, but that's the editor's problem. :-)  I'm the one
who wants them left out for now.

> Expressivity of a markup language is derived from its neutrality with respect
> to data types: in this sense, its lack of typing may actually be a virtue.
> I am not sure.

I can't say much about the virtue of it.  I can say that when a tool
can't do the job, others succeed it.  We have to be sure what
we need to do with a tool before we make it, or we have to take
a tool we've made and modify it to do what we need.

> Leave parameter entities there as macro string substitution.
> It's well understood, and can be implemented easily.

Then document it in those terms.  Make it clear that any
typing implied by PEs is understood to be outside the
current spec.

> Make the spec clearer where it needs to be.
>
> Call it 1.0 and let's move on.

Fine.  The ERB decides.

> ...epimorphistic disclusion

Wow.  What does that mean?