Re: Deriving from xs:anySimpleType

In 3.4.2 of structures 1.0

"a simple type definition which restricts the simple type definition
identified in clause 1.1 or clause 1.2 with a set of facet components
corresponding to the appropriate element information items among the
<restriction>'s [children] (i.e. those which specify facets, if any), as
defined in Simple Type Restriction (Facets) (§3.14.6);"

For the attached example, I think this is equivalent to the following
definition:

 <xs:simpleType>
  <xs:restriction base="xs:anySimpleType"/>
 </xs:simpleType>

Is this simple type definition valid? I think it's normally considered
invalid, but I'm having trouble finding constraints that rule this out,
other than the non-normative statement in 3.14.1:

"... every simple type definition is a ·restriction· of some other simple
type (the {base type definition}), which is the ·simple ur-type
definition· if and only if the type definition in question is one of the
built-in primitive datatypes, or a list or union type definition which is
not itself derived by restriction from a list or union respectively."

The "if an only if" part would rule out a simple type with {base type
definition} anySimpleType and {variety} absent.

I think some clarification/fix-up is in order. I can see 2 ways:
1 Make it explicit that the above simple type is ruled out (hence the
complex type case). (This may already be the case, as I had always thought
the simple type case was not allowed.)
2 Make it explicit that the above simple type is ruled out, but still
allow the complex type case (when no facet is specified).

To achieve #2, 3.4.2 will need to be updated to say "if no facet is
specified, then just use the simple type from the base type; otherwise
construct a new one".

I like #2, because it makes a class of simple content scenarios possible,
where the <restriction> is only meant to restrict attributes and doesn't
want to change the simple type.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
XML Parser Development, IBM Canada