RE: Equality of simple values - Where is my mistake?

The definition of equality is in the W3C XML Schema Datatypes
recommendation at http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#equal and states

"* for any a and b in the *value space*, either a is equal to b, denoted
a = b, or a is not equal to b, denoted a != b
* there is no pair a and b from the *value space* such that both a = b
and a != b
* for all a in the *value space*, a = a
* for any a and b in the *value space*, a = b if and only if b = a
* for any a, b and c in the *value space*, if a = b and b = c, then a =
* for any a and b in the *value space* if a = b, then a and b cannot be
distinguished (i.e., equality is identity)

Note that a consequence of the above is that, given *value space*  A and
*value space*  B where A and B are not related by *restriction* or
*union*, for every pair of values a from A and b from B, a != b."

The last sentence seems to imply that in your example both types are
equal.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
When in doubt, ignore it.