Re: Fw: SimpleType, SimpleContent, Redefine

Bruno Chatel wrote:

>>Not really, simple and complex types are very different beasts (despite
>>similarities which are IMO exagerated in the W3C Recommendation) and the
>>kind of derivations which you will be able to do on those types is
>>different.
>
> My initial understanding of the difference was that simpleType was used
> for data (i.e. content of leaf nodes) and complexType for "structured" content
> model (including attribute definitions).

Yep, that's what I meant :) ...

> So, it means that the way to decide if I use a simpleType or a complexType for
> defining "unit" is driven by the usage (in term of derivation) of it ?

It's one of the driving factors, yes.

> And not by the content model it describes ?

The content model does drive it too, you're right, but in the case which
you've mentioned the datatype used as "interface" was describing a
simple content complex type without attribute which can also be
described as a simple type...

> Then imagine that I want to use unit for
> 1- apply a facet (for example maxExclusive) for defining a particular limited unit
> AND
> 2- define a complexType  in an other schema (importing this one) by redefine
> mecanism
>
> I can't do this because :
> 1- implies to use a simpleType
> 2- implies to use a complexType

You're right and in the general case you may want to provide both
"interfaces":

In the imported schema:

<xs:simpleType name="unit-s">
   <xs:restriction base="xs:integer">
     <xs:maxInclusive value="100"/>
   </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:complexType name="unit-c">
  <xs:simpleContent>
   <xs:extension base="unit-s"/>
  </xs:simpleContent>
</xs:complexType>

The importing schema can then redefine "unit-c" and/or "unit-s":

<xs:redefine schemaLocation="unit.xsd">
  <xs:simpleType name="unit-s">
   <xs:restriction base="unit-s">
    <xs:minInclusive value="5"/>
   </xs:restriction>
  </xs:simpleType>
  <xs:complexType name="unit-c">
   <xs:simpleContent>
    <xs:extension base="unit-c">
      <xs:attribute name="otherVal" type="xs:integer" use="required"/>
    </xs:extension>
   </xs:simpleContent>
  </xs:complexType>
</xs:redefine>