Re: New message-filtering options for the HTML checker

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
> This weekend I worked on adding new options to the HTML checker to allow
> filtering out (dropping/ignoring/suppressing) errors/warnings you don’t
> care about/don’t want to see/don’t consider to be a problem.

Cool. Thanks for working on this.

It's really useful for CI systems. Whatever the reason, some
errors/warnings (and info?) in web pages are intentional. Previously,
CI servers complained about them all the time, creating too much
noise.

> https://github.com/validator/validator/wiki/Message-filtering (and pasted in
> below) has documentation on the options available in various contexts.
>
> * Filtering messages with the command-line checker
>   * Using the `--filterfile` option
>   * Using the `--filterpattern` option
>
> * Filtering messages in the network API and Web checker
>   * Using the `filterurl` query param
>   * Using the `filterpattern` query param
>
> * Filtering messages globally for your own checker service
>   * Using the `resources/message-filters.txt` file
>   * Using the `--filter-file` option to the build script
>   * Using the `nu.validator.servlet.filterfile` Java system property

I have a question about the command-line options. Why do both
`--filterfile` (for vnu.jar) and `--filter-file` (for build.{py,sh})
exist? Is it intentional?