Re: Bug in XHTML 1.1

Sander Lambregts wrote:
> When I use <form action="..." target="something"> in XHTML 1.0 strict
> the validator sais that the attribute target is not allowed in <form>.
> However: if I use the same text in XHTML 1.1 it doesn't say the
> target-attribute is not allowed!
>
> When I see the list of changes from XHTML 1.0 strict to XHTML1.1 it
> doesn't say the target-element is re-allowed. So I think this is a bug
> in the validator.

It isn't. I've just been poking at the DTD for XHTML 1.1 and it appears
to import the target module.

http://w3.org/TR/xhtml11/ is now showing as being a Working Draft of
XHTML 1.1 Second Edition.

I suspect the XHTML 2 working group has been editing the DTD and not
documenting the changes in the draft specification.

I don't understand why this is being pushed as XHTML 1.1 second edition
instead of XHTML 1.2 or 1.1.1 though. It is going to cause confusion and
break systems which are using validation to keep the target attribute
out of documents.

(Please direct follow ups to www-validator or another appropriate
mailing list, not directly to me, thanks.)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/