Re: [VE][68] Error Message Feedback

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Heinz Becker wrote:

Please post the URL in future, not a copy of the code. It's _much_ more
useful to post the URL, especially since HTTP headers may matter _a lot_.

> The tag at the end of /body is there but the checker does not find it –
> don’t get it

It's not the </body> tag (which is better written that way rather than
with a space, </body >, though this is not formally relevant)

> Validating Error [68]: "end tag for X omitted, but its declaration does not
> permit this"

I'm pretty sure you saw a more specific error message than that. It cannot
relate to </body>, since </body> is optional in HTML 4.01. You probably
have a missing </table> somewhere.

> [ Add your message/question here.
>  Follow the instructions at
> http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html#errormsg ]

To validator people: this simply does not work. I'd suggest that you stop
using such links in the error messages and instead make it clear, on the
validator's main page, what the recommended procedure in problem cases is:
- read the explanations; give them some time
- check the FAQ
- if problems remain, re-read the explanations and the FAQ; your problem
_is_ there
- if problems still remain, send a message to ... and specify the URL of
your problem page and the line number and the code number of the error
message that you don't understand.