Re: Sub Domain Validation Problem

seamus boyle wrote:

> I have successfully validated all off the pages using your service at
> http://validator.w3.org/ and added the logo to my design, but when i
> check my URL live at your  service it fails!!,
> I do belive this is because im presently being hosted using a sub-domain
> name and all thehosting service's headings are being checked,

It's got nothing to do with being a sub domain, the URI itself is
irrelevant beyond retrieval of the page.  It has everything to do with
your host inserting invalid markup into your pages before the pages are
delivered.

Many hosts are guilty of this atrocity and the only ways around the
problem are:
a) Arrange with your host to not insert the advertisement.
    (typically involves payment for services, rather than
    using their free ad-supported service)

b) Switch to another host which does not insert advertisements.
    (typically involves payment of another service provider,
    rather than just using another free ad-supported service).

There are many very cheap hosts available starting from as little as $1
(depending on the provider) with a variety of plans and services.

c) Find a free service which will typically require advertisements
    on the page, but which allows you to insert the markup yourself
    instead of automatic insertion like your current host.  This
    allows you to ensure the inserted markup is valid.

> returning my page(s) as a "failed validation" when i know they are all valid.

While your local copies of the pages may be valid, it is the content
delivered to the visitors (and the validator) that really matters.  In
this case, it is simply invalid, regardless of who inserted the
erroneous markup.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/