Re: Parsing HREFs?

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> A person who uses a validator should be expected to know the
> basics of SGML or XML, including entities.

Yes - and for those needing a clue, the word "entitiy" in the
WDG-article is a link.

> Attempts to help people to avoid actual learning will just
> make things worse.

As seen in Bonnie's question there's a catch, some folks don't
expect that attribute values follow the same rules as the text.

It's one of the things we all had to learn, especially because
popular browsers try their best to be smart and accept anything.

An explanation about this discrepancy between validator and
browser behaviour needs a kind of good "excuse" that this is
not only because validators are by their nature nitpicking.

> an example like "foo.cgi?chap=1&sect=2" would be far more
> illustrating, since &sect is actually defined.

Assuming that you mean § here, where's the big difference
to the original example "foo.cgi?chapter=1&section=2" ?

Or are you telling me that this is another SGML oddity I've
never before heard of, an IMPLIEDSEMICOLON=YES maybe ?

                       Bye, Frank