Re: Local validator via proxy

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 17:22, Francesco Siviero ARPA-SIM wrote:
> Sorry to disturb.

No problem :)

> I've installed a local valdator in my debian env, and it's woking fine,
> but since we installed a proxy I'm not able anymore to get validation of
> pages outside of my lan. Is there any way for authenticating on the proxy?

I'm afraid not without modifying the "check" script a bit, and defining
a few variables in your web server configuration.   But fear not, it
shouldn't be that hard (this is 100% untested, by the way :):

First, locate the line

   my $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;

...in the check script.  Add the following line after that:

   $ua->env_proxy();

Then, add your proxy settings as environment variables to your web
server config (somewhere so that they apply to the "check" script), for
example for Apache that would be like:

   SetEnv http_proxy http://username:password@your-proxy-host:port/

...and restart the web server, and it (c|sh)ould work.  Add no_proxy and
others if you need them, see the libwww-perl docs for more info:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/libwww-perl/lib/LWP/UserAgent.pm#%24ua-%3Eenv_proxy

The above affects most of the network operations of the validator, but
its SGML/XML parser, OpenSP, may in some cases access the network eg.
when fetching DTDs.  I'm afraid OpenSP does not have any support for
proxies, but it might not matter in your case, depending on what you'll
be validating with it.

I'll add the env_proxy() line to CVS so it'll be included in the next
version of the validator.  In case you use the Link Checker, it already
has that included.