Re: Differences between validator output and nsgmls output

David Dorward wrote:

> Then we hit:
>
>   //
>
> which acts as a self closing tag. The rest of it is just in free text.
> So it ends up being the same as:

> and the > character doesn't have to be escaped to &gt; here either.

Aha, now it makes sense. But in this light wouldn't it be better to
disallow SHORTTAG option in SGML declaration for HTML in the validation
service? HTML 4.01 specification doesn't mention possibility of using
SGML markup minimalization rules AFAIK.

> Why your local copy of nsgmls gets this wrong, I'm not sure. I only have
> a slight glimmering of the darker sides of SGML.

I was using my default SGML declaration which is other then one supplied
with HTML specification. Sorry for false alarm.

				Jirka